« Home | 29 and Counting » | I want but can't » | I hate you » | Lip Service » | Attack of the Metrosexuals » | THES Ranking » | Sitting Down to Stand Up » | I can see **** people » | Soft Launch » | Feedback »

If I were rich/beautiful/famous...

Just the other night I attempted to write a witty and prize winning slogan when I realised that there was an error with the question.

It goes like this

If Proton SAVVY were a superhero, who would it be and why?

Naturally, I pointed it out to my sis with a snicker. Proton SAVVY being an object (it) should be followed by was, as the past tense.

Then she looked at me dead in the eye and said, "It's correct."

I stopped mid-laugh and managed to mumble "What?!!"

Turns out, if you start the sentence with if, the uncertainty justifies using were irrespective of the object. Therefore, example sentences would be as such -
  • If he were good looking, I'd be Brad Pitt.
  • If she were an angel, then heaven must be really desperate.
  • If they were unfit, then we'll just sell them as slaves.
  • If I were rich/beautiful/famous, you'd be single.
Boy, why in the world didn't I learn that in all my yrs of skol is beyond me...
BTW, this reminds me of the time when I found out (thx to Angelus...) that approximate doesn't mean what I thought it was.... That was an embarassing revelation and another story alltogether.

Ed. Note - I'm no expert at grammar and neither did I dig up my old books. Just trying to best to illustrate the situation. Don't hate me cuz I got all the terms wrong or my inability to accurately and succintly illustrate the point. Hate me cuz I'm cute.

PS. Guys, thanks for the amazing insight. As a parting note, let me practise what I have learnt.

"If I was rich and famous, the world will be at my feet."

Yes, your sis is correct... don't feel embarassed though... because more than 90% of English users make the same mistake... It's one of the most widely made errors and I'm surprised there isn't a worldwide campaign to correct it...

Anyway, I only learnt it when I was in Form 4 or so... and that was from a book I was reading, not from the teacher... Gramatically, it can be put as wrong (using were instead of was/am/it) but then again, like your sis mentioned... there is an uncertainty in the English language when dealing with the uncertain...hehe...

Just to point out... there are also people using these sentences

- If he IS good looking, I'd be Brad Pitt (sorry for the infringement)

- If I AM President of the United States, I WILL give out my money to the poor.

- If they ARE smarter, they will know it is wrong to use these sentences.

Notice that the sentences do sound OK but they are just plain wrong... Hmm... hope I got my point out... Anyway, good observation man... I wouldn't have given it a second look...

Note: I'm no grammar expert too.. just sharing what I have in this tiny brain of mine.

Erm, me also no expert in English, but me learn this from something I read last year.

1. Was, in conjuction with If, is used to show a possibility that could happen.
eg. If he was a bit more diligent and hardworking, he would have passed with flying colours.

2. Were, in conjunction with IF, is used to show a possibility that has a very low probablity of ever happening.
e.g. If I were a bird, I would be free to explore the sky and heavens.

So in your case, the possiblity of Proton Savvy becoming a superhero is very,very low indeed (near impossible), so the proper word to use is 'were'.

p/s. So your example no.4 should be was, because you do have quite a good chance of becoming rich/beautiful/famous. Unless you're saying it sarcastically (which I think you are).

Post a Comment