« Home | Hyper II » | Flow Go Go » | Hyper » | Bed Head and Breakfast » | Black Tuesday » | Caught in *cough* Poses » | I'm Back - is so cliched » | The Best Picture » | There He Goes Again » | My hips don't lie »

Hunting Season

Well, since I'm kinda looking for a job these days I tot I'd write something related to job-seeking.

Some of you might know that I used to work for an international time keeper, which just a more sophisticated way of saying I used to hawk swatch watches. It was a very enjoyable job. Not something I wanna do my entire life but laid back enough that I had a comfortable short term job.

Anyway when you're 19, it's acceptable to be asked about your family background, what your parents do and so on. But it is obviously not acceptable when you're 25 and at your 126th job interview.

During the job interview, the HR Manager asked me all those. At this point I probably point out that I lie in my application form. Sure I may embellish certain things but mostly, I feel some information are too personal for my possibly future employer to know. Therefore I just leave them out and lie outright.

Since I wrote that my parents are retired, she asked me what my parents did for a living. Since I wanted to project that typical middle class Chinese family image and possibly invoke some empathy, I told her my mom is a homemaker (that's housewife for those unfamiliar).

HR: I didn't know a homemaker can actually retire *laughs*. Isn't that a lifetime job?

Me: *Shit* *Damn shit* *What the hell have I gotten myself into* Errrrrr, oh she always claims she's retired. Wanna just enjoy life. So we have to pick up after ourselves nowadays.

HR: Well, I always considered a homemaker to be the toughest job of all. It's the ultimate sacrifice a woman makes for her family. *drones on....*

Me: Yes yes, I agree *nods vigorously*.

Well, I got the job anyway. Guess it wasn't too obvious a fib.

Let's not forget the time you embraced your inner 'brokeback' and wore a pink shirt to work everyday :P

Yay on getting the job! But wat is it, u halfway-story-teller you

i was talking bout my previous swatch interview experience. sorry for my incomprehensible writing skills...

Ish ish, I read & understood thaat; I was referring to ur ice-cream job. And I'm asking wat's ur current job, bro

I got your brokeback joke.

Anyway I haven't found a job yet, that's why. Planning to go down to KL this weekend to find one. Gave up in Ipoh d, sigh. That means no update from next week on.

Post a Comment