« Home | I Drove All Night » | Pillow Talk » | If I were rich/beautiful/famous... » | 29 and Counting » | I want but can't » | I hate you » | Lip Service » | Attack of the Metrosexuals » | THES Ranking » | Sitting Down to Stand Up »

Wat Is The World Coming To

Ignorance is bliss. Life is so much simpler when all that's to worry about what colour to dye my hair, what game to buy&play, what movie to watch, who I shall grace my presence with, etc.

However, I've been reading. Not just my books but the news and particularly Jeff Ooi's blog, Screenshots where he highlight national issues worthy of concern. Reading about our country's affairs is just disheartening.

The state of education is a dismal. Even worse is the attitude of the people in power to make changes, but instead decide to turn a blind eye and try to spin the issue. Then there's the International Islamic University's tudung (headscarf) controversy. By now, I've already heard so many different perspectives on the issue and frankly, it's giving me a headache. Then, there are more people in power who chooses to do some extremely dumb things like restricting access to information. Not yet enough, I read about the lengths our goverment would go to control and intimidate students into submission.

Personally, I find it difficult to love my country when faced with tales like these. Some may argue that other countries have it worse. Well, I don't know. I've never grew up in another country (and prolly never will), heck, I've never even set foot in another country (Singapore doesn't count). All the issues in this country seem to forever surround these two elements, race and religion. What's beyond me is why some people are just so narrow minded. It almost seems that to be either a politician or in a position of power, you have to be slightly more than retarded.

I'm just really disappointed with how things are. It's better to just forget bout these things but honestly, I can't. These issues directly affect me because I am afterall, a citizen of this country. And more importantly, I care about Malaysia.

Hey, thanks for the great blog... Got a lot of information... Didn't know the condition's getting that bad in Malaysia... and to see UM (I could've been there) in such a state hurts me deeply... If I were there, it would hurt me more as I would feel helpless to do anything (unless I can organise a group to remove the boards when no one's watching...but I'll be charged for vandalism, wouldn't I?)

Looking at the decline of UM, it is time for the other Universities to step up... USM, UKM, UPM, etc... yes, UM should not be thought of as the TOP UNIVERSITY in Malaysia anymore... time to put all universities on a level playing ground... I sincerely believe that their administration are currently more capable of bringing up their standards compared to UM's team...

Post a Comment